Avoiding Shifts - A Brief Interactive Tutorial with Exercises
You will not receive a score for this tutorial.
What are Tense Shifts?
- Tense shifts occur when you fail to maintain a logical verb tense within the same sentence, paragraph, or document.
What Should I do?
- Maintain a consistent and logical use of verb tense and pronoun person on the basis of information in the sentence, paragraph, or essay as a whole.
Why Should You Avoid Tense Shifts?
- To avoid confusion about when events in a sentence, paragraph, or document take place
- To achieve clarity on the important parts of your subject such as who, how many, and when
- To produce a final work that is free of mistakes that may frustrate the reader and reduce your credibility